I love lemons and I love muffins, so these are a favourite of mine. I used 2 lemons today, but it depends on how big they are and how juicy they are, so its hard to say how many you would need – 1 large, 2 medium or thereabouts.
It was only when I was gathering the ingredients that I realised I was out of butter, so I made some with the double cream that was lingering in the fridge; it came out quite well, doesn’t taste like shop bought butter, more of a creamy taste, and I didn’t add salt to it, but it was good enough to go into the muffins.
I didn’t melt it though, as it was already softish from the making I just beat it in as it was.
I will put up a post on how I made it next.
- 220g/8oz plain flour
- 125g/4oz caster sugar
- 1 tbs grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp bicarb of soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 250g/9oz natural yoghurt
- 85g butter or margarine, melted
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 80ml lemon juice
- 4 tbs sugar
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- Line a 12 cup muffin tin with cases.
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients.
- In another bowl, beat the egg, yoghurt, butter and lemon juice.
- Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Take care not to over-mix.
- Fill muffin cases 2/3 full.
- Bake at 200C/Gas 6 for 20-24 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes; leave muffins in tin.
- Using a skewer, poke 6-8 holes in each muffin.
- In a saucepan, combine the lemon drizzle ingredients.
- Cook and stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Spoon over warm muffins.