I frequently change the ingredients for this, whatever I have in the pantry may be included – today I had celery, spring onion and mushrooms, so they got added in, but I don’t always have them. Use what you have, don’t go buying any ingredient just because the recipe has it. I used stock, because I just made several pints, but water with or without a stock cube would do just as well. I had a chilli going spare, so that got chopped in too. You get the idea.
- 1lb minced beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 4 mushrooms, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 tsp all-purpose seasoning
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 small green chilli, chopped (optional)
- Sprig of thyme
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- Splash wine (optional)
- ½ pint stock or water
- Servings of pasta
- Cheese (optional)
- Brown the mince in a pan
- Boil a pan of water ready for the pasta.
- Add the chopped onion, pepper, mushrooms, celery, carrot, and garlic to the mince along with the sprig of thyme and seasoning and chilli if you are using it.
- Add the tomatoes and wine and pour in approx. half a pint stock or water, stir, cover with a lid and leave to simmer.
- Cook the pasta according to packet instructions.
- Taste the meat adding a little more seasoning if required.
- When all is ready serve the pasta and mince, sprinkled with cheese.